Close this search box.

Our Services

At CAB, we provide a wide range of information and services:

Information and Referral

We provide our information and referral service:

Legal Advice

We provide a low-cost legal advice service on a wide range of issues and prepare various simple legal document:


We provide mediation services for the following areas, but not limited to:

  • Family Matters (we have accredited Family Dispute Resolution Practitioners on our mediator panel);
  • Community Matters;
  • Commercial Matters;
  • Facilitation and Education.

Who we refer to

We refer clients to get help from a wide variety of places. These include:

How to get information

You can contact our information line and speak to a volunteer who will be able to provide information and referral (if appropriate).

Our information line is (08) 9221 5711 and is open from 9:30am-4pm Monday-Friday.

Please note that our information line is staffed by volunteers, and no legal advice can be given by telephone.

You can also visit your nearest branch.
We also provide a low-cost legal service and a mediation service.

Our Mission

Our mission is to connect people with information and services so they can make independent and informed decisions.

Our Vision

To be the first place people go to when they need information in an accessible, confidential and non-judgemental manner to help them resolve their problems.

Our Branches

We have branches in 10 locations across WA. Our services are also available by phone and on our website. We are constantly evolving to meet the needs of the community of WA.

WA No Interest Loan Scheme

One step forward, two steps back. Unfortunately, this is the reality for many low-income earners when it comes to applying for and managing credit. LWA NIS>S is a not for profit organisation here to keep you moving forward. WA NILS grant small loans (between $200-$1500) at 0% interest to help those who need it most. Our trained volunteers at CAB can assist you with completing your WA NILS application. To make an appointment with trained volunteers, contact your nearest branch to see if the service is available.

Criminal Injuries Compensation

CAB partnered with the Criminal Injuries Compensation Office to implement a free administrative service providing assistance to victims of crimes who are applying for compensation.

We offer administrative support to victims of crime who need assistance with Freedom Of Information requests, organisation of documents and completion of the form.

Tax Help (August-October)

You are eligible for Tax Help in 2021-2022 if your income is around $60,000 or less for the income year and you did not:

  • work as a contractor, for example, a contract cleaner or taxi driver;
  • run a business, including as a sole trader;
  • have a partnership or trust matters;
  • sell shares or an investment property;
  • own a rental property;
  • have capital gains tax (CGT);
  • receive royalties;
  • receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund; or
  • receive foreign income, other than a foreign pension or annuity.

What can volunteers help me with?

Volunteers can help you lodge your tax return online with myTax or claim a refund of franking credits. If our volunteers work out that you don’t need to lodge a tax return, they can help you complete a non-lodgment advice. Volunteers are unable to help you with amendments.

How to make an appointment

To make an appointment for ATO Tax Help at CAB, please contact your nearest CAB branch between July-October.

Justice of the Peace

A Justice of the Peace (JP) service is available at CAB’s Perth office Monday-Friday 9:30 am-3:30 pm. JPs can witness or certify documents for you. There is no charge to see a JP. You do not need to make an appointment to use the service, but you may need to wait at peak times. We can photocopy documents for the JP to witness or certify for a small fee.

Who can witness my document?

Some documents (like Affidavits and Family Court documents) can only be witnessed by a justice of the peace, lawyer or public notary.

However, you do not need a JP to witness a Statutory Declaration. Professions that can witness statutory declarations include:

Academic (post-secondary institution)
Australian Consular Officer
Australian Diplomatic Officer
Bank Manager
Chartered Secretary
Company Auditor or Liquidator
Court Officer (Judge, Magistrate, Registrar or Clerk)
Defence Force Officer
Electorate Officer (State – WA only)
Industrial Organisation Secretary
Insurance Broker
JP (any State)
Local Government CEO or Deputy CEO
Local Government Councilor
Loss Adjuster
Marriage Celebrant
Member of Parliament (State or Commonwealth)
Minister of Religion
Patent Attorney
Police Officer
Post Office Manager
Public Notary
Public Servant (State or Commonwealth)
Real Estate Agent
Settlement Agent
Sheriff or Deputy Sheriff
Tribunal Officer
Veterinary Surgeon
Any person before whom, under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959 (Cth), a statutory declaration may be made.

Where else can I find a JP?

While unusual, there are times where a JP is not available at CAB. If you’re making a journey specifically to see a Justice of the Peace,
it’s a good idea to call us first.
There are document witnessing centres across WA.
Alternatively you can search for your nearest Justice of the Peace.

Becoming a Justice of the Peace

Justices of the Peace (JPs) play an essential part in the justice system and in the community in Western Australia. By volunteering to become a JP you will be providing a valuable and important service to the administration of justice in your community. If you are interested in becoming a JP, you can find further information in the following brochure.

Informing Western Australia since 1963

Mission: To connect people with information and services so they can make independent and informed decisions.

Scroll to Top

Get in touch

Skip to content